Saturday, April 14, 2007

[Easter 2007]

I am not a christian nor am I a catholic but comes Easter, you'll be sure to find me making and baking hot cross buns in the kitchen. It's a tradition that I "created" a few years ago while living in New Zealand. I guess it's just so I've another reason to do more baking in the kitchen. =))

Instead of using just sultanas or raisins, I used dried cranberries + raisins this year. My preference is to have them roughly chopped and soaked in fruit juice (preferably orange juice, cranberry juice or apple juice) when working on the dough. This way they'll be puff and juicy when the dough is ready for them. Another reason that I chopped and soaked them is so they're not as hard and chewey after all the baking in the oven. I love using dried fruits in my baking but I really really really (yep, I'm emphasizing it) hate having to fish them out when they're stuck on or between my teeth while I'm eating them. Don't you?

Oooh, I must also mention that this dough is by far the best dough I've ever used for breads, buns or rolls, specially hot cross buns, of course. I left them uncovered in the oven overnight and suprise suprise they were still soft and moist and ready to be eaten ^,^ in the morning. The previous recipes that I've used, the buns had always became a little hard and dried the day after. Even if I covered or stored them in a bread container.

Ahhh, another Easter tradition of mine is to eat lotz and lotz and lotz... of chocolates! Not that I haven't eaten enough of it in the rest of the 360-something-days!! T.T

HOT cross buns - fresh from the oven
A smiley & shiney hot cross bun
The recipe for the featured hot cross buns was adapted from William Sonoma Baking with a few modifications of my own.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoaloa my dearest Shadow sister, first you make me liu kou shui with your cute little hand made toys, then now you making me reeeeeeally reeeeeaaaalllllyyy liu kou shui with your hot cross buns..!!!

I want one may I..? Hahaha...

SHADOW said...

belle,
Sure, if you trust my sense of projection, I supposed I could "throw" one across the Pacific Ocean to you!! =))

Anonymous said...

Er....

Oh ya, but i think the fishes in the sea finished them, when i got it i only saw the empty broken tupperware...

=(

Shadow said...

{{{Oooh no}}}
That wasn't from me. I didn't use tupperware, I just put them in the ziploc bag. =P

Anonymous said...

這麵包看起來超可口的
應該可以上架出售喔

Shadow said...

嗯。。。剛烤好還熱得燙手的時候我就已經吞掉一個了。 =)